About Karen Mulcahy
Ph.D M.Phil PGCE BA(Hons) LTCL LMusTCL LGSM LLCM(TD) ALCM
Following undergraduate studies, a postgraduate certificate in education and a subsequent masters degree, Karen undertook doctoral research in music aesthetics at Cardiff University. She also studied pianoforte in London and was awarded graduate teaching, music theory/literacy and performance diplomas from London College of Music, Trinity College of Music and Guildhall School of Music. Karen has won competitions and eisteddfodau for piano performance and has been awarded several medals and prizes including the ‘Dorothy Grace Atkinson Memorial Prize’ from the Royal Schools of Music. Karen has sustained a successful musical career for nearly thirty years combining performing, accompanying, teaching, academic research and writing. She has:
- taught in junior and secondary schools.
- lectured in further and higher education.
- examined at ‘A’ and undergraduate level.
- undertaken recital engagements in the United Kingdom and abroad.
- established and managed the successful Arioso musicians agency.
- accompanied at festivals, concerts and eisteddfodau.
- performed in ensembles and as a soloist for private and corporate functions.
Mature Student Specialist
Learning music late in life has additional benefits and has been proven to enhance cognitive activity and thus facilitate greater mental consciousness. Having undertaken a specialised postgraduate course in adult pedagogy, including a study of recent psychological approaches, Karen appreciates that many people who attend Penarth Piano Academy, especially mature students, need the freedom to study at a relevant pace without the pressure of music examinations. Karen therefore welcomes mature students of all levels and abilities and provides an adaptable stage based curriculum with appropriate learning packages that incorporate classical and contemporary styles.